Technical Advisor for Clinical Microbiology, Antimicrobial Resistance, & Quality Management (Pakistan)
Health Security Partners (HSP) is seeking driven and passionate individuals to advance our mission to strengthen health security around the world through education, collaboration, and stewardship.
Based in Pakistan or remotely with significant travel to Pakistan (3-6 weeks, 3-4 times per year), the Technical Advisor will work with HSP staff and partners in Pakistan to improve microbiology laboratory services, especially antimicrobial susceptibility testing, and quality assurance.
- Provide technical assistance to national and provincial level laboratories in the areas of antimicrobial resistance, quality assurance/control, and general microbiology laboratory capacity.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with key personnel within the Government of Pakistan, international partners (i.e. WHO, Public Health England), and HSP staff.
- Represent HSP with government partners, in-country representatives of international agencies, and other identified partners.
- Masters degree in microbiology, pathology, or related field; MD/MBBS or PhD preferred.
- Relevant certifications (AMBB, FCPS, FRCPath, etc.) preferred.
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience, preferably in resource-constrained settings.
- Experience living and working in resource-constrained settings.
- Demonstrated experience in assessment of laboratories using standardized tools.
- Demonstrated experience in reviewing assessment reports and creating detailed lab improvement work plans to mitigate gaps that are noted during assessment.
- Demonstrated experience teaching and/or mentoring students and trainees.
- Proficient in manual and automated methods of sample processing, especially antimicrobial susceptibility testing.
- Technical expertise and work experience in area of AST and AMR surveillance.
- Excellent knowledge and demonstrated experience in quality management system (QMS) in general and role of QA/QC of AST procedures and processes, in particular.
- Good understanding of local and international AMR surveillance tools (e.g. PARN, WHONET, etc.)
- Fluency in English required, fluency in Urdu preferred.
This part-time contract position is funded by an external federal grant. Compensation is based on a daily rate commensurate with experience. Continued employment is subject to sustained external funding. Initially, candidates should be available for a 1-year commitment (with the possibility of renewal). Health Security Partners is an equal opportunity employer.