Health Security Partners (HSP) is seeking a Veterinary Laboratory Specialist, who will work with HSP’s partners to support antimicrobial resistance (AMR) surveillance and stewardship activities. This is a full-time (2 years) consultancy, subject to available funding.
All work will be done in Indonesia in collaboration with HSP and its partners. The scope of this position will include the following:
- Conduct laboratory assessments, gaps analyses, and make recommendations for improvement of infrastructure, bacteriology diagnostic testing, quality management system and biosafety.
- Conduct staff competency assessments to identify gaps in knowledge and bench skills for bacteriology and AMR-related testing
- Provide training through workshops and in-laboratory mentoring for bacteriology (specifically culture and identification, antimicrobial susceptibility testing), quality management systems, and biosafety.
- Support development of standard operating procedures, policies, manuals, curricula, and other materials relevant to the project.
- Serve as the subject matter expert for veterinary laboratory functions and laboratory-based AMR surveillance.
- Serve as the liaison between HSP and Indonesian government officials and nongovernmental partners.
- Doctor of veterinary medicine (DVM) or equivalent degree with training in microbiology or related discipline.
- At least 7 years’ experience in laboratory diagnostics, specifically bacteriology: culture and identification antimicrobial susceptibility testing, quality management, and biosafety.
- Demonstrated experience teaching courses, conducting workshops, or giving seminars on relevant topics.
- Demonstrated experience conducting comprehensive assessments of laboratories as well as personnel competency.
- Experience engaging with governing officials, policy-making bodies, and international non-governmental organizations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
This is a full-time contract position funded by an external grant starting in January 2020. Compensation is based on a daily rate commensurate with experience.
To apply, send your resume/CV and a cover letter to with the subject line “Veterinary Laboratory Specialist (Indonesia): Your Name” to Alle Taylor and Prasad Kuduvalli (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com).