One Health is a core concept that fosters a collaborative approach to issues that intersect human, animal, and environmental health. The “Health Security Solutions Incubator for One Health Small Grants” program is designed to convene diverse cohort of early-career and established scientists from the veterinary, human, bio-science, or other One Health related sectors. It includes a three-day incubator-style conference to include lectures from subject-matter experts and working group sessions that will focus on health security topics, proposal development, and metrics of successful implementation of community-based projects.
During the incubator, participants work with subject-matter experts to identify and explore local health security challenges in the human and animal sectors, with a special focus on projects that bridge both sectors. The incubator serves as a platform for participants to discuss their own local health security challenges, and encourages the identification of local in-country public and private sector partners. Participants will also be given guidance and support on crafting and refining proposals with local and regional areas of focus.
After the incubator, participants are given the exclusive opportunity to apply for small grants by submitting proposals to support local projects. Small grant proposals that will be given consideration include but are not limited to: lab security/safety; animal and water safety; critical equipment shortages; communication and integration of surveillance efforts; and antimicrobial resistance across the animal-human health continuum. Decisions on participation in the incubator and any subsequent project funding awards will be made in competitive, merit-based review process.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- A citizen of, and residing in Afghanistan
- Experienced scientist in one or more of the following disciplines: medicine, veterinary medicine, life sciences, public health, environmental science, and global health and development
- Working proficiency in the English language
- Commitment to participate in all aspects of the program
- Curriculum Vitae outlining experience and education in the health sciences
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- Interest, experience, and/or accomplishment in areas of One Health
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement effective health-focused projects;
- Leadership capacity to share knowledge with stakeholders in country and in the region
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse multi-disciplinary teams
- Documented experience in fiscal management of external funding sources
Health Security Partners collects personally identifiable information for each of our programs, from every participant and beneficiary. This is done to not only verify recipient eligibility requirements, but also ensure our limited resources are used most effectively in meeting our mission. Requests may be in the form of curriculum vitae, national identification, and direct contact information. All information is treated confidentially.